Dolby Atmos is a recent means of changing audio sounds around you. Imagine you being in the cinema, home and large theartre and you have a feeling of having the sounds surround you. It uses sound technology invented by Dolby Laboratories. It builds up on existing surround sound systems by adding high channels.
This technology gave birth to a new means of 3D sounds. Which began with a movie made back then in 2012 called Brave. Well, this does not use a stationery channel rather it uses audio object that can be accessed anywhere. This can be used on mobile devices so long as you download the app.
Features of Dolby Atmos
- It has a unique way of moving the sound around it.
- Sounds are no longer limited to your surroundings
- Add a higher dimension to sounds around you.
- Audio is fine tuned and made into a 3D object for your pleasure
Pros and Cons of Dolby Atmos
- It enhances sound surrounding iys user including overhead effects.
- It helps to create nearlife beleivable listening experience.
- It helps to bring out audio sounds from all angles of a room.
- The use of sound channels helps to amplify sound output
- Sounds found overhead need to be encoded.
- Not all benefits from the overhead sound effects.
- Setting up can be a little overwhelming.
- Not all speakers out there supports this new iechnology of 3D effects.
10 Alternatives to Dolby Atmos
1. Boom 3D.
2. FxSound Enhancer.
3. Razer Surround.
4. DeskFX Audio Enhancer Software.
6. Bongiovi DPS.
7. Breakaway Audio Enhancer.
8. Spatial Sound Card.
How to download Dolby Atmos on Devices
Before installing on an android device. There are basic requirements needed. Ensure you have installed Google play music app on your phone. This is the most appropiriate as others may come up with issues.
- Proceed to Playstore, search for Dolby Atmos apk (no recovery) on your Android device.
- Restart your Android phone after the downloaded apk is installed successfully.
- Do disable the default equalizer for your Android phone. The default equalizer is in the configuration, or you can find it in Google Play Music.
- Open the Google Play Music app and click three horizontal lines in the upper left corner.
- Click on the settings in Play Music Navigation and scroll down.
- Go to the Equalizer and open it, then turn on Dolby Atmos from there. Most of the time, it will be activated automatically.
- Go back to the music library and play any song. You can disable the Dolby Atmos application. Then test the sound before and after the installation.
- On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Music,
- Proceed to turn on Download in Dolby Atmos.
- On your Mac, open the Apple Music app.
- In the menu bar, choose Music > Preferences.
- On your Android device, open the Apple Music App.
- Tap the More button.
- Click on Settings, then turn on Download.
- To start using this feature, download the Dolby Access app from the Windows Store and launch it.
- The app will guide you through setting this up.
- If you have Dolby Atmos receiver you want to use with your PC, select “With my home theater”.
Choose How to Listen tp Dolby Atmos on Devices
There are various ways in that you can decide to enjoy this innovations, such as they are listed below. The good part is that it works through the built in speakers on iphone and ipads (the recent releases).
- AirPods Pro or AirPods Pro Max, with Spatial Audio turned on
- Beats Solo3 Wireless
- Beats Studio3
- Beats Flex
- Powerbeats Pro
- Beats Solo Pro
This songs work on all headphones, you just need to turn on “Always On” in your iPhone or iPad settings first.To do that:
· Proceed to settings on your iPhone or iPad, Android or PC.
· Tap on Music.
· Choose “Dolby Atmos” on your device.
· You can now change the setting to “Always On” so as to be able to access it when in need.
Dolby Atmos Speaker
This speaker works to create a more enveloping sound effect in your home theatre. For example, instead of having raindrops sounds around the height of your ears with 5.1. With Atmos, you’ll hear the rain sound as if it’s falling from above.
Three Codec Used to Deliver Dolby Atmos
There are three codecs used to deliver Dolby Atmos content to the home.
· Dolby TrueHD is a lossless codec for both channel-based and immersive audio.
· Dolby Digital is used for both channel-based and immersive audio.
· Joint Object Coding (JOC)
Dolby Atmos with Apple Airpods
You can listen to Dolby Atmos music in spatial audio with dynamic head tracking on AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and Beats Fit Pro with a compatible iPhone or iPad.
When you watch a supported show or movie with AirPods Max and AirPods Pro use spatial audio to create an immersive surround sound experience. With spatial audio with dynamic head tracking, you hear the surround sound channels in the right place, even as you turn your head or move your iPhone (on supported models).
How to Access Dolby Sounds?
· Go to Settings > Click Sounds and Vibration.
· Scroll down and look for Sound quality and effects > Click on Dolby Atmos.
· Four options are available: Auto, Movie, Music and Voice.
· Decide and select your preferred option or keep default setting at Auto.
How Dolby Atmos Works
They work by using audio processing algorithms to convert the Atmos object metadata into a binaural 360° output using the usual two headphone speakers. This technique is an improvement on the previous Dolby Headphone technology, allowing for infinite channels of sound to be processed into a virtual surround experience.
The one surefire way to confirm this is working is to check the information panel on the front of your A/V receiver or your soundbar (if it has one, or perhaps an on-screen display). It should display the kind of audio signal it’s currently working with.
When the sound Bar is connected to a TV which is not compatible with HDMI (eARC), you can only play Atmos format content output from a playback device, such as Blu-ray Disc Player. Refer to the manual of the Blu-ray Disc player to confirm that the player supports Dolby Atmos.
In conclusion, Dolby Atmos is a great innovation which has been adopted by most huge cinema and large theatre. In fact it has since been adopted in gaming and virtual reality. This is for awesome audio output. Definitely, what most users wont be able to get over anytime soon.