Coursera is a worldwide online learning medium that offers anyone, anywhere, access to online courses and degrees from top rated universities and companies. Coursera was founded by Daphne Koller and Andrew Ng in 2012 with a vision of providing life-transforming learning experiences to learners around the world.
It offers a stressfree mode of learnng without having to go to the four walls of a class. You can acquire top highly sought after skills on the platform. Thereby placing you at an advantage in the job market. Some courses are free while others are fee- paying. And even have certificates given on completion of the courses.
Features Of Coursera
- Specialization in certain skillset.
- Shareable Certificates.
- Self-Paced Learning Option.
- Course Videos & Readings.
- Practice Quizzes.
- Graded Assignments with Peer Feedback.
- Graded Quizzes with Feedback.
- Graded Programming Assignments.
How To Open An Account On Coursera?
- Go to coursera.org.
- At the top of the page, click Sign up.
- Choose whether you want to provide a name, email, and password or link your Coursera account to your Facebook profile, Google account or Apple ID.
Is It Free And Subscription?
Coursera offers free online courses, many of them led by top colleges or companies like Google. Learners can access all course materials and there’s a small fee for a certificate of completion. Coursera’s online classes span a range of topics, from public health to resume writing.
Subscriptions let you pay a fee every month for the Specialization until you complete it, instead of paying a one-time fee that gives you one year to complete the Specialization. When you subscribe to a Coursera Specialization: You’ll have paid access to all courses in that Specialization.
Pros and Cons of Coursera
- Very wide variety of topics available as compared to Edx.
- Topics such as Roman Architecture, Algorithms.
- Creates a forum for learners to share ideas.
Interface not so easy to navigate.
There are only in-video questions and problem sets.
10 Alternative to Coursera
One of the most popular eLearning platforms like Coursera, Udemy claims to have the most extensive selection of courses on offer consisting of over 100 thousand options to choose from.
Just like Coursera and Udemy, edX is definitely in the top three most popular eLearning platforms currently available. The best universities from all over the world offer numerous free courses you can choose from.
The eLearning platform Skillshare is a trusted Coursera alternative that has gained popularity in recent years because of its welcoming community and classes on a wide variety of topics.
FutureLearn is yet another Coursera competitor that offers numerous classes from top universities and institutions, including the University of Michigan, King’s College London, Johns Hopkins University, The Open University, British Council, and others.
Just like the Coursera alternatives listed above, Udacity is a popular eLearning platform that offers courses for programming, data science, AI, and digital marketing niches. So, you will be learning tech-related skills.
Though their course selection is much smaller (only a few hundred courses), these courses are chosen carefully and are of the highest quality.
- Khan Academy
Khan Academy started off as a small YouTube channel with a couple of videos that the creator “Salman Khan” uploaded to teach his cousins some basic maths. However, it quickly grew into a complete mathematical course that covered almost every aspect of maths for students.
If free education is what you seek then Alison is the perfect place for you to start your educational journey. The site offers great courses entirely free of cost and you can even earn a certificate for the completion of the course successfully. The courses are developed by industry professionals in different disciplines so you can start learning anything that you like.
If you want to code then you better enrol at the Codecademy because as the name suggests, this site’s main focus is on coding and programming. If there’s anything that requires programming then you will be able to learn it at Codecademy.
- Team Tree House
If you want to build your own website or publish your personal app on any mobile platform (Android, iOS, Windows, etc) then you should put your money in Team Tree House because that’s one of the best websites to learn those skills.
OpenCulture is an open-source learning project where you will find a wide variety of free courses. These courses don’t require enrolment at all and you can just download them via iTunes as an audio file, or watch them on YouTube in video format.
Are The Certificates Respected?
As one of the most prestigious and widespread online educational platforms out there, Coursera is definitely legit. With more than 5,300 courses for you to choose from along with multiple specializations and full-length degrees. It’s a legit option for people who want to learn about new things. And it is respected everywhere in the world.
Top 10 High in Demand Courses In Coursera
- Google IT Automation with Python by Google
- The Science of Well-Being by Yale
- IBM Data Science by IBM
- Machine Learning by Stanford
- Python for Everybody by University of Michigan
- Google IT Support by Google
- Deep Learning by deeplearning.ai
- Data Science by Johns Hopkins University
- Fundamentals of Engineering Exam Review by Georgia Tech
- Social Norms, Social Change I by University of Pennsylvania and UNICEF
How To Download Coursera On Android, Ios And Pc.
- Download and install BlueStacks on your PC.
- Complete the Google login to access the Play Store, or do it later.
- Search for Coursera in the search bar in the upper right corner.
- Click to install Coursera from the search results.
- For Ios And Android
- Open your Google playstore on android or App store on iOS.
- Search for Coursera in the search bar in the upper right corner
- Click install from the search result
- Then start your app.
Range Of Fees For Coursera Courses.
Courses may be available either on a subscription basis or for individual purchase. Many Specializations run on a subscription basis costing between US$39-79 per month. Most offer a 7-day free trial, after which you will be billed. If you cancel within the free trial time, you will not be billed.
Types Of Certificates On Coursera.
- Professional certificates
- Specialization certificates.
- MasterTrack Certificates
Types Of Learning Options On Coursera
- Skills for Data Science Teams
- Data Driven Decision Making
- Software Engineering Skills
- Soft Skills for Engineering Teams
- Management Skills
- Marketing Skills
- Skills for Sales Teams
- Product Manager Skills
- Skills for Finance
- Popular Data Science Courses
- Beliebte Technologiekurse
- Popular Cybersecurity Certifications
- Popular IT Certifications
- Popular SQL Certifications
- Marketing Manager Career Guide
- Project Manager Career Guide
- Python Programming Skills
- Web Developer Career Guide
- Data Analyst Skills
- Skills for UX Designers
Learning online is the best way to perfect on your skills after work. Not only you can complete courses from renowned universities and organisations, you will be in contact with top teachers and in the end you will gain a certificate.